Author Topic: Sect 6 - Jan 31, 2010  (Read 5644 times)

Offline DaveC

• View 's Album

Sect 6 - Jan 31, 2010
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »
     I took a solo hike out the Radial Line Trail on a foggy, rainy day back in November.  I started at Watson, headed East, and am embarassed to admit that I got spun around in Sect 6, east of Kong Hill when it got dark much quicker than I expected.  I ended up popping out onto the Blue Springs Golf Course, and had to humbly call my wife and admit I didn't exactly know where I was.

This embarassing moment has stuck with me since, so when my 8yr old daughter Madelyn...

...asked to go for a hike today, I decided that I was going back to the scene of the crime, and would figure out what I did wrong on that fateful day.  We drove to the junction of the trail and Dublin Line and headed back in westbound.

Just as it is described in the GHTC handbook, this first section closest to Dublin Line was quite rocky, and Madelyn loved the rugged terrain.

It then opens up and thins out a bit, with some beautiful old trees.

Eventually we came to a log bridge over a wet area, which proved to be snowmobilers nemesis, as their eastbound tracks stopped here.

From here we were on the old rail and there was what appeared to be open marshy area off to our right.

The trail leaves the old rail, and wanders uphill until eventually you reach the top of Kong Hill, which has some beautiful lines of sight in almost every direction.  We hung out here for 10 minutes or so, and had a drink and snack before heading back.

Oh, saw this depression.  Not sure what it is.  Is this a hole left from torn out roots, or some geological sink?  Someone fill me in please.

All in all, it was a beautiful day for a hike...about -7C, a little bit of wind, and a bit of snowfall...and Madelyn and I really enjoyed the climbs.  Almost exactly 2hr roundtrip at a fairly relaxed pace.  Here are some more odd shots of my daughter enjoying herself.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:26:05 PM by Dave Culham »

Offline Pat

• Administrator
  • View 's Album

Re: Sect 6 - Jan 31, 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »
Fantastic photos, David.  Wow!  It was a cold day today and so nice to see these winter shots!  Roll on spring!  It can't come too soon for me.

Offline DaveC

• View 's Album

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
I am glad you are enjoying them Pat.  Not a fan of Winter?  I admit that Autumn is my favourite, but I love Winter hikes too.  It helps keep my core temperature down, and I can see so much deeper off the trails, noticing things that I pass right on by in other seasons.  I love how the same hike can appear SO different in each season.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:13:12 AM by Dave Culham »

Offline Pat

• Administrator
  • View 's Album

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »
I had Andy Cann telephone me today to tell me about the "hole" that you were enquiring about.

He was telling me that the landowners of that part of the trail were selling trees and a large machine came in and took out mature trees and/or rocks that they were selling.  It was a few years ago when this was done.

Offline DaveC

• View 's Album

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
Thanks Pat, and Andy.  That was bugging me.  I am looking forward to seeing it with no snow to see how obvious that answer was in different seasons.