Author Topic: Bruce Trail - Iroquoia Sect - Kelso - Feb 19, 2010  (Read 5191 times)

Offline DaveC

• View 's Album

Bruce Trail - Iroquoia Sect - Kelso - Feb 19, 2010
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
     Between Guelph Line and HWY 25, and less than 30km from south end of Guelph, Kelso Conservation Area has an extensive system of trails that run up and along the escarpment.  Friday was a gorgeous afternoon for a hike, sunny and about 1C, although the wind had a bit of a bite in it.

I met my father at the Glen Eden Ski Hill parking lot, we crossed their enclosed bridge over the rail, and we set out along the clearly marked trail.  We stuck to the Bruce Trail and made a 7km loop hike using the main trail and the Glen Eden Side Trail.   Shortly after you begin climbing, you run into two old kilns.  Someone has taken the time to print off tonnes of historical information on the kilns and the area and attach it to the surrounding fence.

Once you make it to the top, you are rewarded with some stunning views of the surrounding area, although the winds are incredible until you pass the first major lookout and get protected by trees a bit.  This is along the Milton Outlier and is the area where the world's slowest growing trees can be found.  These ancient dwarf cedars grow along the edge of the cliffs, are twisted and small, and can be as little as a few feet tall after hundreds and hundreds of years of growing.  The oldest living cedar along here was discovered by Professor Larson of the  University of Guelph at 1316yrs old.  Professor Larson also discovered a dead dwarf cedar along here that was 1890yrs old.  Amazing!

Some amazing views, a good workout, and some fantastic ancient trees...all less than a half hour from Guelph.  If you haven't been, I highly recommend it!