Author Topic: Help am new  (Read 8308 times)

Offline nncyboo

• I'm new at this
Help am new
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
 Hi am new to the club. I enjoy hiking and biking but unfortunately I got away from it. Now I'm so out of shape, but I would love to start hiking again. I live in Rockwood, just moved there last October. I love the area, it's beautiful. But I'm looking for some trails in and around the area. :o
Thanks Nancy

Offline DaveC

• View 's Album

Re: Help am new
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Welcome to the Guelph Hiking Trail Club, Nancy!

If you are looking for the closest club trails to Rockwood, the Radial Line Trail runs by just south of you.  Look for a stile on the west side of Guelph Line just south of SR 30, for a marked trail heading east from 5th Line just north of SR 30, or for a stile on the east side of 5th Line a little south of SR 30 and Blue Springs Creek. 

I encourage you to come out and join other hikers on a club hike.  The hike leaders are experienced with the areas, and the collective knowledge of the group is always impressive.  If you are wondering what that flower is, or that bird is, or what type of rock that is and how it formed...whatever it is, there always seems to be someone there who knows.  There is one this Monday night, meeting at the corner of Serena Lane and Victoria Road in the south east corner of Guelph.  Here is a link to a map and directions in case you interested...http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Serena+Lane,+Guelph,+Ontario&daddr=Rockwood,+ON+N0B&hl=en&geocode=FdrQlwIdR8E4-ym9VJcgQYMriDEeRiRNCtKhrA%3BFTaSmQIdwxg5-ymbVCcT9p4riDEbVAcRSkMPfA&mra=ls&sll=43.614889,-80.137496&sspn=0.018176,0.045276&ie=UTF8&z=12
We are meeting there a little before 6:30pm and it should take between 20 and 25 minutes to drive there from Rockwood.

Try not to worry about how long it has been since you'e hiked regularly.  Just make sure that you bring plenty of water and that you have good footwear on, and you will be surprised how quickly your feet, legs and lungs respond if you just stick at it.  For more detail on upcoming club hikes be sure to refer to your newsletter which has a full schedule of hikes, and for more detail on the trails, you can order a copy of the club handbook with maps of the entire trail system from Limehouse through to Hespeler.

Finally, you are invited to join us at the upcoming New Members Night.  On Wednesday, October 6 we will be meeting at the Zehrs Community Room at the corner of Imperial and Paisley Roads in Guelph.  This night will provide an opportunity for GHTC members to welcome new and prospective members.  There will be presentations on how to prepare for a hike and how to find interesting hiking locations in your area.  There will also be club information and a question and answer session.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email at dculham@gmail.com.  Again, welcome to the GHTC!

Dave Culham
Membership, GHTC