Author Topic: Hiking in Killarney Provincial Park (Oct 7,8/2011  (Read 11258 times)

Offline marilyncouture

• Members
  • View 's Album

Hiking in Killarney Provincial Park (Oct 7,8/2011
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
What perfect Oct weather to explore a few hiking trails in Killarney Provincial Park!!

The trail called " The Crack" is only 6 km long, but it is rated as difficult. The view from the top of Killarney Ridge was absolutely stunning with all its brillant colours. The immense white cliffs of the La Cloche Mountains surrounded us as we ascended through the "crack",climbing up & over a cascade of huge boulders.

The "Granite Ridge Trail" is a 2 km loop trail, rated as moderate. The trail started by winding through old fields & forests and soon we were up on  a ridge that offered two beautiful lookouts over the park. We could see Georgian Bay & the ridges of the La Cloche range.

We also explored George Island (not in Killarney Park) which is located across from Killarney Mountain Lodge. The wilderness trail (7.5 km return) crosses the western end of the island through towering mixed forests. Forests gave way to old beaver dams & ponds. Reaching the height of the island, we were rewarded with a striking view of the torqouise waters of Georgian Bay with views of many islands. We returned,following the rocky shoreline & then through mixed forests.

Here is the "crack" and up to our final ascent to the top

Such a stunning view!!

We called this Al Capone's car

This starts our hike on George Island

Beautiful view of Georgian Bay

Offline SusanA

• Members
Re: Hiking in Killarney Provincial Park (Oct 7,8/2011
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
I loved your pictures, Marilyn!  I was there in mid-September & did the same trails as you, but you got the fall colours much better than we did! But your pics brought it all back to me again! Fabulous place!