Information About Guided GHTC Hikes
Guelph Hiking Trail Club offers guided hikes locally and outside of our region in all seasons.For these hikes, please:
- Contact the hike leader prior to the hike to avoid disappointment due to cancellation or hike changes (especially during inclement weather)
- Choose a hike suited to your physical abilities - be honest with yourself in judging your abilities, remember that we tire more quickly when walking on snow/rough terrain, and consult the hike description which includes the hike speed, length, and difficulty of terrain (if in doubt, contact the hike leader)
- Arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to the hike start
- Lock your vehicle and stow all valuables out of sight; keep your car keys in a safe place where they cannot fall out
- Sign in and complete the waiver (that you take responsibility for hiking at your own risk) before beginning the hike
- Inform the leader if you have any health conditions that could affect your hiking performance
- Note that all GHTC leaders are valued volunteers - please respect their role as leader and follow their instructions
- Stay with the group, walking behind the leader and in front of the sweep
- Be an ambassador for the environment and for good hiking by following safe hiking guidelines and the Trail Users Code
- Stay on the marked trail and respect the generosity of private landowners who have given us permission for a foot path through their property - their friendship and trust is our Club's greatest asset
- At the end of the hike check to see if you are needed to help drive others back to their cars
- Car pool to hike locations outside of Guelph - if the distance is considerable it is customary to offer to help pay for the gasoline
- Occasionally it is more convenient for a hike leader to select a meeting place that is not in Guelph. If you cannot arrange a ride to get there, contact the hike leader who may know of someone who is willing to take you.
- We'd like to see your photos and hear of your experiences on our guided hikes. Please e-mail us, post a note on our website forum, or write a trip report to our newsletter editor.
- If you hike all sections of the GHTC's Radial Line Trail (8 sections) plus the GHTC's Speed River Trail (3 sections) you may purchase an end-to-end badge. Keep a written log of the hikes that you have completed and when you have hiked all of these sections order your badge from the Membership Secretary.
- We welcome new hike leaders. Please contact us if you are interested.
<<< Safe Hiking
>> What to Bring